Friday, May 11, 2007

Visiting Day Leadership

So I sit down to breakfast, and on page one above the fold is the headline
Narcotic Maker Guilty of Deceit Over Marketing ~ Producer of OxyContin to Pay $600 Million.
The story went on to report that three of Purdue Pharma's current or former execs had plead guilty to criminal charges of misleading doctors and patients, and I'm thinking that my only option is to go back to herbs and witch doctors except I'd be worried about pesticides in the herbs and Medicare rejecting the witch doctors.

About the only positive thing I got from the story was that the nausea it caused helped to curb my appetite which is always a good thing.

It also made me think about an ExecuNet FastTrack Webinar that world class consultant and author Judith Glaser presented for our members in April. It was based on her award-winning books Creating We and The DNA of Leadership. Fascinating stuff!

Anyway, in discussing cultures with the audience, Judith took them through a couple of polls, one of which asked them to select the attribute or quality that they felt was most important in a relationship. There were ten from which to choose, such as caring, honesty, candor, etc., but the winner by far was "trust." Surprise, surprise.

I know it is an over-simplification, but in our seemingly never-ending quest to identify the qualities of leadership, I still believe that it all starts with trust, and the more I think about, also ends with trust.

No comments: