Friday, May 04, 2007

Things To Think About On The Way Home

It is with some trepidation that I go forward with this post thinking that it might subject me to a series of comments or emails from those who would be saying things like "C'mon Dave, get off the Power of Positive Thinking bit and get back in the real world with the rest of us."

For someone like me whose sense of humor has been described on occasion as more like Don Rickles than Mary Poppins there are those who when they see this will wonder if I have stopped taking my meds. Well, I haven't I just stumbled across this one day and liked it a lot and couldn't get it out of my head.

We all have come across or read affirmations like this all the time. What struck me about this, however, was the vast amount that has been written over time about the subject matter that is covered in a mere 40 words! Indeed, when I first read it, and realized just how much ground it covered in so few words, it reminded me of the old Mark Twain (?) quote that went something like "If I had more time, I would have written a shorter letter"

Taken in that context, at least to me, it makes the thoughts expressed by Cooper even more impressive.

The Seven Deadly Sins

Truth, if it becomes a weapon against persons.
Beauty, if it becomes vanity.
Love, if it becomes possessive.
Loyalty, if it becomes blind, careless trust.
Tolerance, if it becomes indifference.
Self-confidence, if it becomes arrogance.
Faith, if it becomes self-righteous.

Ashley Cooper, American columnist


Anybody have some "thoughts" that they particularly like?

No comments: