Friday, February 26, 2010

Jamie Oliver's TED Speech

I know there are some who think Jamie Oliver is a bit over the edge when it comes to his crusade re: obesity.

I also know that there are those who have both good and not so good things to say about the TED Awards, speeches, etc.

Indeed if you are one of the thousands (millions?) of Tech Crunch followers you probably saw the back and forth over the speech given by shock stand-up comedienne Sarah Silverman.

Be all that as it may, I came upon Jamie Oliver's speech because someone posted it on Twitter and thought it was something people should check out, so I did. I would give her credit here as well, but I have since lost the message.

Anyway, the reason I make reference to it here is twofold:

1. I have a lot of respect for what Oliver is trying to do and the commitment he demonstrates in trying to fight for change that he feels is critical on all sorts of levels.

With his background, and success, he could be spending his time and energy on lots of other stuff. He has chosen not to.

2. I also think that if you take the 18 or so minutes to hear what he has to say that as a result you will come away with some of the same feelings I have expressed above, and as a business leader, admire the passion he brings to those he hopes to influence to act.

After all, that's one of the key things leaders hope to do. Inspire people to follow. Oliver has his way of trying to achieve that, and each of us has ours.

Just watching him in action helped to renew my energy; something we all need from time to time.

No matter what needs renewing in your life, maybe Jamie's passion will help do that for you as well.

No comments: