Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Networking II

Networking II is the title of a recent article appearing John Sumser's outstanding daily ezine Electronic Recruiting News whose reputation is such that it long ago became required reading for anyone who has any interest in the staffing world be they candidate or recruiter.

You should be able to find a copy of the entire article in the archive section of John's site. Well worth reading on a number of levels, but when I got to the section I have pasted below it immediately got my attention. Indeed, I went back and read it again. Why did I pause on it? In truth I would guess because like most people when I read something which supports my own point of view or philosophy, it of course catches my attention. I couldn't help but read this and say: "Right on big John!" Moreover, when it is someone with Sumser's reputation, it tends to make you puff up even more and say to yourself "see, even John Sumser says you are not crazy."

Anyway, this is the section that got me to sit up and take notice:

"Also, the theory that solid social networking involves giving without the expectation of an immediate return seemed to be hard for some people to understand.

Of course, social networks produce returns for their investors. People would never participate in them unless that was true. The trick is knowing that credit-taking and the expectation of specific return destroy the network dynamic. Networks work because their members receive unexpected benefits, because being in the network is better (for everyone involved) than being outside of it.

There's no escaping the fact that networks can only achieve effectiveness if the participants are willing to delay gratification. That's where the idea that you have to give without the expectation of return."
When we started ExecuNet way back in 1988, I can recall the conversations I had with each person who called then, and while the technology and times have obviously changed, the message hasn't:

Give first and results will follow.

Effective networking is about giving not about getting.

Help each other.

Every interaction you have reflects on you first and foremost, but it also reflects on your fellow members.

It's about being remembered and referred; make sure you are remembered for the right reasons.

Real career management is a process, not a program. It is not something that you start and stop.
When we began ExecuNet, there was, for all intents and purposes no Internet much less a term like "career-related website." Nowadays, the last number I think I saw Pete Weddle report was that there were more than 45,000 of them.

Over the years, I have been asked again and again, and even more so as the number of career-related websites continue to expand "how do you measure your success"? Reading John's Networking II article reminded me of what my answer has always been:

By reputation,

By the fact that the vast majority of our members still come to us by referral from current or former members, and

By how many search firms and companies keep coming back to post their senior level executive jobs with us
All of which translates back to what John has said in this piece:

"The trick is knowing that credit-taking and the expectation of specific return destroy the network dynamic. Networks work because their members receive unexpected benefits, because being in the network is better (for everyone involved) than being outside of it."
My belief is that this is not only true but is one of the key differences between being a "member" versus a "subscriber."

Thanks for the reminder John.

No comments: