Friday, July 22, 2005

Love Those Brits!

Has anybody out there discovered Martin Lukes, Chief Personal Ethics Champion aka Martin.Lukes@a-bglobal.com? Those who are steady readers of the Financial Times probably instantly recognize this email address, but at the risk of exposing, yet once again, my lack of intellectual capital, I have to confess that I am not a daily reader of this outstanding paper. It is all I can do to look at the WSJ for a few minutes. In any event, I was introduced to Martin Lukes by a colleague in the office, Lauryn Franzoni, who is indeed not only a subscriber to the paper, but also reads it on a daily basis.

Anyway, it is one of the funniest satires I have seen in years, and while it follows a "soap opera like" story line, you can drop in on it at any time because the writing is so good and so funny that even though you may not know who some of the characters are right away, Martin's style and typical British humor just pull you in immediately anyway.

Aside from the humor, it also will help you to improve your British vocabulary and you can learn the translation of terms like: "cavorting starkers", "deep dive", and "brain-bang."

If you were ever a fan of Are You Being Served, Faulty Towers, Black Adder, or some of the other British sitcoms then you should check this out. I think it runs on Thursdays.

No comments: